Sunday, October 3, 2021

Silver Linings in a Pandemic

 Charming customer this week:

Doris

from Westchester County, NY.  (near Yonkers, she told me)

She and her husband were here for the Balloon Fiesta.  They were New Yorkers, with just a touch of an accent.  We had a lovely visit, and my favorite part was when she said “I’ve got to stop feeling guilty when I buy fabric,” to which her husband quietly nodded his head and smiled.  And I leaned across the counter and said, almost in a whisper, “were you raised Catholic too?”, and we had an immediate connection.

More and more, I feel quite lucky to have folks like this drop into my life, into Hip Stitch, and be the seeds that plant happy memories for me.

Making this week:

I've FINISHED!




Well, the top, that is.  It'll get quilted in the next few weeks.  I've grown in my love for it as it transpired.  And, once quilted, dare I say it might be stunningly beautiful!


Learned this week:

When you're an adult, it's VITAL for your mental health to play with children, if at all possible.  I have the joy of spending time now & then with a great niece and nephew, ages 6 & 4.  
(Now, I'm speaking as the AUNT when I say how joyful it is.....I have been there as a MOM in the trenches and know it's not the same)

I spend time with them studying ants and anthills, coloring, playing make believe, reading books, having deep discussions about things like:
*what makes a mean kid mean?
*the importance of 'please' and 'thank you'
*what does (insert word) mean?  This week it was the word 'overkill'
*why the dark is suddenly scary when it wasn't last week at bedtime. (yes, I'll crack the door open for light)

Here they are, playing on the new "Dreamland" Play Mat, complete with roads, a bakery, a castle, a pizza parlor, candy shop, and more, for much enjoyment by little ones (and an aunt!)




No comments: