Sunday, November 7, 2021

Silver Linings in a Pandemic

 At Hip Stitch: 

Sabine:


It was close to closing time, and quiet young woman came into the store to shop. Not sure whether it was shyness or just needing to be left alone to browse, we said our hellos and offered assistance if needed, but otherwise took her cues and left her to be on her own to shop.

When she came to have her fabric cut, I asked her if she was visiting because she had a distinct accent. Oh my gosh, what a fascinating young woman!

She - Sabine - had just finished hiking the Continental Divide Trail, which took her 4 months and 10 days - Canada to Mexico. She hiked it with a few friends, and her trail name is "Mermaid" (I didn't know that was a thing - trail names!)

She said the best thing about doing it was being able to take off her mask. (oh, there's nothing like the outdoors). And that she missed her sewing machine.

Now THAT'S my kind of girl.


(She's also hiked the Pacific Coast Trail, by the way)


Making this week:

I posted this on the blog a few weeks back, have looked and looked at in person, but it wasn't 'til today that Cathy from my weekly Zoom Happy Hour group noticed that 3 blocks are turned the wrong way.  


Holy cow, do our eyes decieve us or not?!?  Can YOU see those blocks?  And now that I see them, I can't UNSEE them!  As I told the group, it's a good thing I like to seam rip!  (my mother liked to seam rip too.....is that a hereditary?)

Learned this week:

A fabulous podcast series on beliefs on Kelly Corrigan Wonders, and so far I've listened to her interview:

Suhag Shukla, who is the Executive Director of the Hindu American Foundation on all about the 3rd largest religion in the world (she says 'treat others well, and treat the planet well')
Anne Lamott, who is described as a woman who is "celebrated for her raw, hilarious accounts of stumbling toward her best self"
Rainn Wilson, (yep, "Dwight" from The Office) - and why his religion is the most important thing in his life.

There are 7 more in this series - I highly recommend this to ANYONE. Huh - opening our minds a bit and listening thoughtfully,,...what a wonderful thing to do......

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Thank you for the podcast recommendations. I needed this.