Sunday, May 21, 2017

Fiber Arts Fiesta 2017

I was thrilled to be able to make it to the fiesta twice this year!  My 2nd visit was with my girl Claire, who, at age 17 now, is a wonderful companion on outings and sweetly patient as I introduced her to the many customers and friends we came across as we marveled at the exhibits.  I'm sure it was not her most exiting outing to hear over and over, "this is so-and-so, who's a rughooker/knitter/quilter/photographer/" and have to hear how so-and-so and I know each other, but she's a trooper and joy to me.
I gave her my cell phone and instructed her to take pictures of quilts that SHE likes.  I wanted this documentation to be about what her eye was drawn to.  Some quilts we both loved, some she loved and I was so-so about, and vice-versa.
She learned that she is drawn to ombre/spectrum of colors.  We both loved those that spoke of social justice.  And we both agreed that we need more hours in the day to do some creating of our own.
She'll be a part-timer at Hip Stitch this summer, as well her sister Jane.  I couldn't be happier.
Here's what she took:



 Katherine is a Hip Stitch customer, and I ran into her after seeing this quilt - she talked about her nervousness about having her quilt at FAF with all the other magnificent quilts.  To me, THIS was magnificent:




Rod Daniel's quilt, Pulse, made after the Orlando nightclub shootings:




Renee Hoffman's winning quilt, which Hip Stitch was proud to be the sponsor of this award:

(and for those of you who wonder which girl is which, here's Claire with her friend Will:)

We'll see you soon at Hip Stitch!

No comments: